The Vale of Clwyd has been a pilgrimage route since Christianity first came to North Wales. There are a number of holy wells marking the route of the pilgrims, their destination may well have been St Winefride's Well at Holywell or St Beuno's, which is now a college and retreat from the stress of modern life.
Bella Vista was probably originally built as the 'Ticket Office' for a Haematite Mine situated next door. The mine, which ceased to be worked around 1930, was leased by Thomas Gee in the late 19th Century. Thomas Gee was better known in the printing trade and founded 'Baner ac Amserau Cymru'. He would regularly ride from his home in Denbigh to Bodfari on his horse Degwm.
Loads of high quality iron ore were carried down the hill in horse drawn carts from the mine to the weigh-bridge, which is now covered by the road in front of our house (and no longer visible). The ore was taken down through the village to Bodfari Railway Station from where it was transported, originally to Foryd Harbour, Rhyl for shipment to France and later we believe to Partington Steel Works, on the outskirts of Manchester.
Later the property became a 'Market Garden' supplying produce to the local comunity.